On Jul 9, 2005, at 22:31, Bev Walker wrote:

In effect, this is a survey of sorts - to what uses do *you* put your
lace?
and:
tell me what you like to use your lace for, I'm
especially interested in the 'usual' end product that you like (if you
have one - some of us just do bits of this and that...).

Any lace I make that's not made as a part of developing a pattern for publishing - whether made from my own pattern or someone else's - is likely to be given away. Like Bety Ann, I don't wear much of it (no call, with the reclusive life I lead), and I'm not "into" yardage, so home furnishings are out. Most of the pieces I develop for pattern publication I keep, though I've given away some of those too, if time was short - once I have the photo and working notes, there's no need for the real stuff.

As to when: weddings, births, birthdays, Christmas, an overnight hostess sometimes. Even a special dinner invitation might be worth a piece (instead of flowers, chocolates or a bottle of wine), if I suspect the recipient will enjoy it. Tokens of friendhip, for no reason at all. Mind you, all my pieces tend to be small or small-ish, and almost never take more than a couple of weeks from start to finish (unlike the xyz patterns in development <g>), so it's hardly a big deal. Fund raisers are another good place to get rid of excess frou-frou from the house :)

As to what: depends, to a great extent, on the recipient and occasion. For multiples (fund raisers and similiar) I'm rather fond of bookmarks and earrings; neither takes too long, and both offer some relief from boredom in colour changes. For single units, it's different. For Christmas exchanges (and I try to participate in all of those, if time permits), I like to give the recipient a choice from all of my own Christmas ornament patterns and the colour choice as well. For other occasions/more complex pieces, I usually ask for colour preference only, if I don't know it (and if I have enough time ahead to make a piece to suit <g>). And, if someone's not certain what it is they'd like, I try to steer them towards choosing something that's either so old I've already forgotten how bored I got with it or something that's within my current "madness", and still holds some puzzles within, beyond just colour play. So, a lot of people are likely to be receiving bits and pieces of Rosalibre in the nearest future :) Or, possibly, wire, now that I'm back to playing with it.

I just hope that Liers lace (I'm headed for a workshop, July 22-24) doesn't prove addictive... <g>
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/