Ricky,

This is a difficult question!    Lace takes so long to make, and is so
time-intensive, that I don't usually sell lace at all.   I have taken the
odd commission, but most of my lace is made for friends who would appreciate
the time and trouble taken in craftwork of any kind - garters for weddings,
hankies for Baptism bonnets, bookmarks, church items for my local church
etc.

Looking at it logically, the easiest of bookmarks, but which would be worth
making/buying, take what - ten, twelve hours and upwards.   In the UK, the
minimum wage is about £5.10 per hour, I think.    So - a bookmark would be
upwards of £50.00 each - and I can't imagine anyone in their right minds
spending that on a bookmark.    Garters are a similar thing - you need quite
a length, and can purchase (not too-wonderful!) machine-made garters for
around £25.00.    Would anyone actually pay two or three times that much for
a hand-made one, unless it was from a (very) haute couture dressmaker.   I
was asked some time ago by a top dressmaker to make a silk garter, with
threads and colours specified, and was going to be paid the going rate -
which was quite wonderful to contemplate - but in the end, I declined, as I
didn't want the stress of working to a deadline!    What if I couldn't
finish it in time - the thought was enopugh to paralyse the lace-making
altogether.

So - it all depends on the size of the wallet, and what one considers
'affordable' - and how mauch time and effort someone has put into the making
of whatever the item is!

Carol - in Suffolk UK - hot and sunny, but still quite humid.


Subject: Re: [lace] popular uses for lace


> Hello!

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to