On Jul 20, 2005, at 11:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Devon) wrote:

What then, is the proper English language term to refer to what I call
"those little snow ball things", that are sometimes called Fond de Niege or Oeil de Perdrix? Is there a different English term to refer to a single snow ball or
 eye of the partridge as opposed to an organized group of snow balls or
partridge  eyes?
Santina Levey in her glossary defines Oeil de Perdrix as often used
interchangeably with Snow Flake Mesh. I find that these do not remind me of snow flakes as much as they do of snow balls, or even peas. Neither do they remind me
of "mesh" which I think of as more net like.

I have no idea as to what the "proper English language term" for the little thingies might be, but tonight's my last night at the 'puter till Monday, so I'll indulge in some speculation :)

The matter of "snowflake" vs "snowball" is, I think, a matter of how you look at them. Each has six "arms" leading to and then coming out of the - more or less dense; there are lots of them and various - centre. So, if you look at the centre, you're reminded of a "ball". But, if you look at the whole thing - arms included - then it's a bit more like a "flake". The "peas" have more connections, besides having a ring pair.

"Snowflake" seems to be the commonly accepted English term, judging by the books on Binche I have, and also by the workshop you almost took from Ulrike Loehr (now Voelker?), which was "Snowflake Quilt". And they seem to be used in singular, not plural, ie each element seems to keep its independence. Which is quite right, since in some laces (like Flanders) they're used, mostly, as single elements or, at most, as fillings, while in some others (like Binche) they're used in multitude.

As to the collective ("an organized group of" whatever you want to call them)... I agree with you, that they don't look much like "mesh" (though the "little snowflakes", made with only 4 pairs, do. A bit. Some of them. Maybe <g>). But then the French word for them isn't "mesh" - it's "ground"; even I know that much :) I don't want to "sass" Levey, but I don't know what she was thinking of, or who'd fed her the info...

If you're really, really, uncomfortable with "snow*flake*", why not just translate the French into English and call the collective "snow ground"? It's still distinctive enough from the Mechlin's "ice ground"... :)

Yours, still not packed, but with the 4 pieces of strong fabric dutifully hemmed to the (more-or less) correct size. No idea where to find a #5 pencil, so I'm going without one, but I think I have everything else assembled as required. Wish me luck driving tomorrow (250 miles, some of it in a large city I'm not familiar with at all) :)

I'll be coming back on Monday (July 25), but don't expect a report on the workshop till Tuesday at the earliest; I figure it'll take me all of the Monday evening to just *read* my mail.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/