I'm sure most of the experienced lacemakers on Arachne know this trick, but
we have lots of newer lacemakers now and I don't remember seeing this here
before.

If you have a major spill with your pillow, to the extent that bobbins are
caught up on the pins as distinct from *just* severely muddled leashes, take a
deep breath and hold the pillow upside down over your head.  Gently rock it and
most of the threads that are caught around the pins will be pulled free by
the weight of the bobbins.  Any left can be easily encouraged to drop.  Once
you
have done that, slowly turn the pillow back up the right way so the top of
the pattern is at the top and the bobbins lay onto the correct bit of the
pillow.

You still have to sort out the bobbins but it is much easier to do this
without some being caught on the pins, and they mostly drop back into the right
area so the left hand bobbins tend to be on the left and so on.

It really does work, but is terrifying to do the first time.  However,
sometimes the catastrophe seems so major that anything has got to be worth a
try and
it was in that situation that I first tried this, with great results.  Since
then I have used it several times when teaching, when a student has dropped
their pillow, and the situation has always been improved.

I think the only time I wouldn't risk it would be if the lace was barely
started so the amount of pins was not enough to support the weight of the
bobbins
- but then with few pins in, there would be less to tangle round anyway.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire