Brenda --

This is probably nothing to do with the price of beans in China (that is,
not significant) but on a lot of sewing machines (I have a Singer, a Viking,
and a Bernina) the spool is not free to rotate; therefore the thread
revolves around the spool as it is pulled off.

Which is interesting to me -- I hadn't thought of it before -- why doesn't
the thread get overtwisted as it seems to if I wind a bobbin in that
manner??

Oh well, the mysteries of life.

Regards,
Carolyn