On Jul 31, 2005, at 4:01, Brenda Paternoster wrote:

On 31 Jul 2005, at 02:00, Tamara P Duvall wrote:

We were told to bring #5 pencil. [...]
it was quite evident (from the speedier learners' efforts) that a pencil that hard may keep its point very well, but doesn't leave a very visible line behind it...

What's a #5 pencil?

5H. Very hard, very pale, but keeps the tip well and doesn't smear. I think 2H is the hardest Walmart carries; in the arts/crafts store where we got or 5H, 6H was the hardest. The standard I use (little leads to insert in mechanical pencils, which I then sharpen for drawing but not for writing) is HB.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/