It could also be that those threads were broken in the fall.  Before I learnt
of this trick, my grandson (then about 15 months old, now 18yrs!) 'played'
with my lace pillow when his mum was house sitting for us.  It was a piece of
Bucks with about 40 or so pairs.  She had shown it to a lace making friend to
sort out before I came home, but she (fortunately) said "No thanks".

When I started to untangle, bobbin after bobbin came away in my hand.  Some
were broken at the pins, others with up to 6 inches of thread.  In the end,
there were about 12 pairs of bobbins left joined onto the lace.  It had not
been
apparent that any threads were broken before I started.  Now, if it had been
the first time I'd tried the turn-it-over-and-wiggle-it trick and all those
bobbins had rained down on my head, I'd probably have been frightened off ever
trying it again.

As for the piece of lace, it was as an edgeing to a bonnet (not for
aforementioned grandchild) and was almost finished at the time of the
'accident', so
each end that was long enough was weaver's knotted onto a bobbin, and I then
unpicked back so all the ends could be reached and dealt with.  I then worked
forward, getting rid of all the knots as they hit a cloth stitch bit and
fiddling
those that didn't leave ground.  An interesting enough exercise in itself,
but not one I'd choose to repeat from choice.  Quicker though than starting
from
scratch.

Jacquie in England