At 05:23 AM 8/10/2005, you wrote:
I'm trying to make a butterfly from Kortelahti's book "Let's make bobbin lace". The pattern is on page 52. I wound my bobbins and started working but after a very short while I realized that I have no idea how the threads come in from the left side of the big butterfly wing. All the pairs which I set up according to the pricking fit in beautifully , but after the10th pin of the big wing I got stuck and have no idea how to continue.

 Has any one made this pattern who can give me a clue of how to continue?

Hi,
I've done lots of Kortelahti, though not this one. I thought I could help anyway.

This pattern is started on the right side of the top, with all the pairs hung on. It is worked in a circle -- down the right side, across the bottom, and up the left to the top.

The two pinholes near the top, center, that have squares around them are sewing pinholes. When starting, these threads start at the top and slant left. When they reach the squared pinholes, there's no other pair to work the stitch, so just put in a pin and slant back to the right to the butterfly wing. These stitches will be completed when you come back to them.

It seems the directional arrows on the first squared pin were left off. There should be arrow markings showing the threads coming from the right and going back toward the right, to the large wing.

The three pair affected by these two pinholes are probably the 'missing' threads you are looking for. Let me know if this is not the answer you need.

Alice in Oregon -- where my cat just broke one of my favorite bowls. He's keeping a good distance between us right now.