I use an ordinary round embroidery frame, with a bound inner hoop, for
Coggeshall and haven't had any trouble with the net slipping.  Use a
screwdriver to
tighten the screw.  It's obvious once it's been pointed out, and all but the
cheapest frames have a screwdriver slot cut in the turney thing (mind's gone
blank) but until someone passed me a screwdriver one day in an embroidery
class,
I was forever having to undo and reposition the fabric because it had slipped
just that little bit.

As I'm only doing little bits of tamboured lace (as little as possible!) I
don't want to set up a slate frame, but I do see it could be better for a
bigger
project, once you have made sure you have the net straight and the right way
round.  In a round frame you need to take care not to distort the holes in the
net, but once it's in place you can turn the frame to get the hexagons lined
up properly.

I hold the round frame in the slate frame holder on my Lowery stand, which
means I can also get the light exactly where I want it.  The pattern I tend to
do largely freehand but as Margot says, I bring the 'cartoon' up behind to
check I'm on target.  I don't think I'd be able to cope with white behind the
net
(unless the net was coloured) and was taught by at least two different
teachers (probably three) to have a dark cloth over my knees so I could see the
net
better.

As with a lot of these things, I think it's a case of trying different
equipment and methods and seeing what suits you.

Jacquie