On Aug 28, 2005, at 8:10, Ilske Thomsen wrote:

Haven't you read this:

  Beads, wire and raised tallies are permitted,

I *have* :) Which is why, in response to Jacqui's warning about being careful with Gros Point (NL), I created a whole series of *rhetorical* situations where "natural bumps", integral to the technique (BL, Crochet, Tatting), would disqualify those laces also, if one were to stick to the "no 3-D" rule too literally...

I still think that what's meant by "2-D only" is pieces which had been constructed into pyramids and other such *afterwards* (once the basic lacemaking process is over).

And I still think that the whole issue could be settled - easily - by including the third dimension in the description, *as usual*... :) Just make it "35-45 inch, by 3.5-5 inch, by no more than an eighth of an inch" (or whatever's the pleasure)...

What's difficult about that?

It would spare the organisers having to deal with - individual - panicked questions from potential entrants who're seeking to clarify the extent of the rules (truly, the organisers of the nearest event would as soon be spared the effort of replying to multiples of those questions at this point, since they'll be having other problems <g>) It would also stop turning off potential entrants who think "dead-flat's not what I'm interested in" and won't even ask.

Again: what's so difficult about that? *Add* the third dimension to the rules... Just make it *small*.

IM - NH -O

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/