In a message dated 23/09/2005 11:03:57 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> IOLI Officers aren't paid for their time, that's why they call us
> volunteers.  *big grin*

I think I am right in saying that the officers for the UK lace societies
aren't paid for their *time*, that's the bit they volunteer to give.  However,
there is no reason why they should be out of pocket for legitimate expenses.
For
instance, I can decide if I can afford to go to AGMs or not and decide how
important it is to me.  For a committee there is not that option.

If all their expenses were to come out of their own pocket I am not surprised
that at times it is hard to get new volunteers.  This would surely also mean
that there must be occasions where someone's financial situation changes
during their term of office - does this mean they be in the situation where
they
feel they have to resign from the committee, even if they still have the time
offer?

I take on board the comments about the distances involved but still feel that
any event that it is essential for an officer to attend, their expenses
should be paid.  This might mean that the IOLI consider fewer events are
essential
than the Lace Guild do, for example, but I still don't think that the people
keeping IOLI running for my benefit should be out of pocket - even if this
means my subscription goes up.

Jacquie in England