Thank you Robin and Tamara,

You have given me some great pointers!
I do own the OIDFA Pt. Ground book and will begin studying it.  I thought I
owned Nottingham's Tech of Bucks but am not locating it this morning.  I do
have a couple of other Bucks books plus Tonder ones.

Thanks again, now to find the time.
Lorri

  > Unless you're trying to stay within the parameters of a particular
  > version of PG (Tonder, Beveren, Bucks, etc), there are no rules;
  > you make your own :)

  I agree with T that you can pick and choose PG parameters if you're
  designing your own PG (as opposed to designing BUcks or designing
  Tonder, etc.).  Elwynn Kenn (I think that's the spelling) put out three
  books on "Australian Point Ground" that are her PG patterns.  She was
  consistent in her "rules", but didn't necessarily stick doggedly to the
  rules of any one existing PG tradition.  If you call your
  pattern "Bucks", you should stick to the Bucks rules, but if you call
  it "Point Ground", you can make your own.

  That said, I think you might benefit from the OIDFA-published "Study of
  Point Grounds".  There was a committee that looked at all the PG
  traditions and compared them.  The book is a table--each column is a PG
  style.  Each row is a feature.  I don't have it with me, but it would
  be something like:  "twists before the gimp:  Bucks=2, Tonder=1,
  Rauma=2, XXX=3, YYY=varies".  In other words, Bucks has 2 twists before
  the gimp, Tonder has 1, Finnish has 2, etc.  ***N.B. I made up the
  numbers to illustrate the point!***