On Sep 30, 2005, at 18:22, mary carey wrote:

A couple of years ago I made a "pillow bag" for a large square pillow I have for working Eeva-Liisa's pictures. [...] If I make another I will make the handles longer so they could be used "over the shoulder".

I've been printing out all of the instructions as fast as they've been coming in (Clay's BarbETex's, Mary's) but I also have a question.

I have a bag for my round cookie 24" (home made) and one for my square 24" block (bought in Denmark), but both are standard, "vertical-carry". The home made bag for the round pillow offers better access (a long zipper down one side which, in addition to the top opening makes it easier to slide the pillow in), but both are big enough to let me stick the dis-assembled table (or most of it) into them as well as the pillow, bobbins, my "tool box", any printed material needed for the class etc (the home made has two pockets, the bought one one pocket). So, they work out fine. But, because of the weight, and because I was at the end of the line when God doled out height, the only way I can carry them is over the shoulder -- there's precisely 24" between my handgrip and the ground :)

I can see the advantage of carrying a pillow horizontally, especially once the project is on it - there's no gravity pulling at the bobbins (when using my vertical-carry bags, I secure the bobbins with a bit of "give", to counteract it). And, if the length of handles was adjusted "just so", and the pillow supported by the hip (like a baby), I might even be able to stabilize it at the other end with my fingers, if not very comfortably (I'm a living proof of Darwinian's theory of the origin of humans - my arms are long enough to be the envy of any monkey <g>)...

But... How does one negotiate doors (never mind crowded elevators) with a horizontal-carry bag, if using a large pillow??? I suppose, for a door, one could swing it to the front of oneself (though, some doors, esp the swing doors in hotels... you'd have someone else holding it wide-open for you)...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/