Adele

I think that all of your thoughts are just about spot on! Although the species is Linum Usitatissimum there must be hundreds of varieties which combined with different growing conditions, retting and spinning techniques mean that some linen fibres are very coarse whilst others are gossamer fine - and machinery doesn't have the skills required to spin the finest!

My 2 penn'th agreeing with your 2 cents worth!
Brenda