Hi everyone and Tamara Great rainy day project, count the samples in the pattern book! Someone else with a copy might want to check my figures. I did a quick count.
Interesting fact: there are 1,425 samples in the Lace Dealer's Pattern Book issued by the Luton Museum Service. This is a big format, 40 page, coil-bound picture book of lace samples, size A3 I think - approx. 12 inches by 16 inches, an uncommon size to North America - I had to clear my desk to do the tallying (well I have to clear my desk to look at the book anyway - and this was a good excuse to take it off its shelf - a narrow slot of my regular bookshelf where it can be stored flat). Tamara wrote: >Treasury - another 50 (geometric) Bucks patterns reconstructed from the >Lace Dealer's Pattern Book in the Luton Museum in UK. Talk about >dedication; that makes 150 Bucks patterns; I didn't even know there >were so many in that book > The snippets range from less than an inch to several inches (4 + ) wide. Page 5 shows the most samples: 131 (all narrow of course!) Pages 19 and 27 have the least number, at 13 each. The average is about 35 samples per page. The samples are mostly Buckspoint, with a number of Bedfordshire laces - almost all are edgings or insertions. There are several that look like lappet ends. I bought my copy as a keepsake, after the fund-raising effort to restore the original sample book, and the participation on Arachne, some years ago now - to help raise money for it, we did a raffle by e-mail, an international, never-to-be-repeated scheme :))) The patterns are conventional because they were for the trade - some are fairly plain, others quite ambitious, or 'interesting.' I thought I might work some of them, on that illusive some day! Glad to hear that Sally is working on more of them. bye for now Bev in Sooke, BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada) and wishing Happy Thanksgiving weekend to Canadians everywhere - To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line: unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
