Lyn's comment about critiquing the work of others makes a good point.

I've just finished doing a Standardized Patient portrayal for 2nd year
med students, and part of the training for the case was learning to give
the students good feedback (they were trying to help me choose to change
my 'behaviour').  The thrust of the feedback was the 'sandwich'
comments:  i.e. positive, negative, positive.

I think this is something for all Judges and teachers to remember.
Comment on a positive, then a negative, and finally finish with a
positive - even if it means reiterating the first positive in slightly
different words, if you're struggling to find another positive.  The
idea is to encourage the recipient, not to demoralize them.
Constructive criticism is helpful; destructive is not.

Cheers,
Helen, Aussie in Indian Summer-y Denver