Yes, 'constructive' is a much better word!!
And the choice of words in the 'constructive criticism' are very important
too.

Lorri

  Lorri,
  I agree with the three stage appraisal.  However, I like to think not of
  negative criticism but constructive criticism i.e. to give students
  something which will enable them to make improvements in the future.

   Liz Pass (in Poole, Dorset)
  Who's just stopped for a break from assessing portfolios.

  In 4-H judging, we were taught to have the critique as: positive, negative,
  positive. Always a good technique when giving an opinion.

  Lorri