On Oct 18, 2005, at 21:43, Lorri Ferguson wrote:

I don't think 24-28 gauge would be large enough. 18 ga. is 1mm thick and
could be twisted to form the texture and possible the strength needed.

Double-plied 24 (.5mm) wouldn't give the same coverage as a single ply 18 (we've been through that - takes 3 strands to double the width uniformly), but would give it the same strength. It would, also, make the wire easier to work with than a single ply of 18, by giving it more flexibility (I've tested that theory, on thinner wires - 3 plies of 34 (on one bobbin) are easier to manipulate than one strand of 24), so that a plait should be a possibility. A traditional (composed of 3 strands) plait/ribbon might be another way to get a hanger shape and a 3-pair ribbon yet another. Any of them would be more lacy than a twisted wire.

I wouldn't expect it to support anything heavy, but it should be good enough for a piece of lace. Though, like I said, it needs thinking and testing :)

Be sure to make the base heavy enough to keep it up-right.

Um... There's more than one way to skin the cat on that one, I think. You can make the base small and heavy. Or you can make it relatively light, but broad, so it doesn't tip over. Several ornament hangers on the site Anne gave us are off the second kind.

If one were to make, say, a 5-petalled flower as a base... Using 3-pair Fiandra, maybe? With a stem coming out between two petals, then curling up over the flower (not away from it)... I think the laws of physics would stop it from tipping over, even if it weren't very heavy. Yet it would be prettier than many of the hangers on the site, and more appropriate for a lace ornament. One could also - I think, make an "earring tree" on the same principle, but with the stem - composed of many pairs - converging in the centre of the flower then coming straight up (strong), before splitting up again, into several branches, each of which would support a pair of - lacy, of course <g> - earrings...

Hm... Maybe another wire project for the IOLI Bulletin? What fun! But, definitely after Christmas :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/