On Oct 21, 2005, at 18:23, Weronika Patena wrote:

I recently started scrapbooking.  I have a few albums, all of which
have boring single-color covers. So naturally I thought about decorating
them with lace!  How would you go about that?
1. How would you attach the lace? Glue? Try sewing it (I'm not sure whether that would even work with this sort of hard cover, but I guess I could sew it to a piece of fabric and then glue that onto the cover)? Or maybe put it
in a plastic pocket and only glue that to the book?
2. Should I just use wire lace? If I did thread lace, I'd be worried about it getting damaged from the constant pulling albums off the bookshelf...

Wire-lace would get as damaged (possibly more, since it's less forgiving of sideways shoving) as thread-lace, I think. I wouldn't leave the lace exposed - whether wire or thread - so I'd stay away from both glue and "sew to a piece of fabric, then glue the fabric" method. Which would leave your third option - plastic pocket glued to the cover - a clear winner :) At least, as long as you could find a glue that would glue plastic to whatever, without disintegrating the plastic. The glue wouldn't even have to dry clear (though most glues these days do); you could put a sheet of paper or fabric into the pocket to cover up any blobs and to serve as a background to your lace at the same time. If you use felt as your fabric, you don't even have to glue or sew the lace to it; felt inhibits movement (by the same token, it's harder to position your lace pieces "just so")

3. Pattern ideas, anyone?

Um... Since these are _scrapbooks_, how about using samples of the laces you've tried? No finishing, no effort, and a reminder of "times before", just like the albums themselves :)

I have a scrapbook - of sorts; _the_ phrase of my writing tonight, it seems <g> - dedicated to myself; "T and Lace" it's called. I got a binder for it, one of those with a sheet of clear plastic already attached to it - you're supposed to slide a piece of paper with the title or whatever into it. All the pages in it - I can add more; I bought a fat binder - are plastic top-loading pockets, same as in the binders I keep for designing different kinds of lace. What I collect in there are bits of paper (serviettes, postcards, stickers, bits of wrapping paper) which relate either to tea or to lace, and I try to have both subjects represented on on each page; if I don't have enough paper on lace, I stick in a sample of lace. On the cover, under the plastic (provided by the manufacturer), I have a photo of my car's license plate (T N LACE), a few samples of lace, a piece of chemical lace in the shape of a lacemaker, a Post-it with lace and tea implements on it, on which I rubber-stamped a spider hanging off a web... All surrounding a piece of paper with the Lacemaker's prayer:

From breaking threads and bending pins,
Brittle parchments, unmarked prickings,
Lumpy pillows, half hitches that run,
And people who say "Is that ALL you've done" -
Good Lord deliver us...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to