On Oct 23, 2005, at 2:41, Alice Howell wrote:

A question recently came to me about Christmas ornaments and their patterns. So.....I put the question to all of you.

What is the source of your favorite Christmas ornaments?

For Christmas patterns, I like Brigitte Bellon's "Kloppeln zur Weihnachtszeit" (Bobbin Lace Christmas Patterns).

Until I started designing my own ornaments, the favourite source was another Bellon book (that makes it a 3rd, with the one Barbara is using <g>): Weihnachtliche Kloppelmotive (Christmassy Bobbin Lace Motifs - as far as I can decipher the title), published by Barbara Fay in '93. Lots of angels and stars, but also several candles, some bells and some "odd ones", like a tree and a mushroom (Poland obviously shares the "mushroom on the Christmas tree" tradition with Germany; I have several - glass ones). All fairly simple, using few pairs, but very effective.

Like in the other two books mentioned, all the text is in German - no English - and my German was never great, and has rusted out altogether through 35 yrs of disuse. But, for most of the patterns, the knowledge of the language is not essential; the photographs are _superbly_ clear and the prickings are marked not only with the paths of the workers but the direction of movement, where to add and remove pairs, etc. Not for a total novice to lacemaking but, mostly, because she's not likely to have been exposed to the many differing notations. In some ways, I found Burkhard's patterns harder to "guess at", despite the English...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/