Apart from pointing you to the materials made for scrapbooking where 12"x12"
is a common size and everything is archival quality, one suggestion I would
make is to stop thinking that you have to display your lace on dark blue.

I think this came into being when tissue paper was either white or dark blue
and obviously, of the two, lace looks more spectacular on the darker colour.
However I think you will find that if you use softer colours - rose pinks,
greys, dull greens and blues for example -  there is less 'glare', for want of
better word between the two extremes, and you can see the lace better.

Also, it is often not essential to have a completely plain background.  I
often use mulberry paper with its inbuilt colour variation or one of the
'rag-rolled' paint effects scrapbooking papers.  Have a look at my arachne
webshots
and as well as the mulberry paper, you will see one of my Torchon pieces has a
purpose made backing of many shades of blue, chopped up threads, with some
copper coloured Lurex as well.  This was spread out between two layers of
soluble
fabric and machined over to hold it together.  It turns a slightly unusual
piece of Torchon into one of my most admired pieces.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire