On Nov 4, 2005, at 21:06, Jenny Brandis wrote:

I would like to try out one (or three) of Michel Jourde's patterns but wondered if I should first learn the techniques :) so my questions are

what type of lace is his work?

I don't subscribe to Lace Express, so don't know what the particular patterns shown there are like. But, judging by the website that Carolina sent us the URL to -- thanks, Carolina; it's a beautiful website. Like Jane, I lust after that black mat <g> -- he doesn't seem to stick to any particular technique; the pieces pictured there are "all over the place". Some are Guipure-like, some Torchonesque, some fairly simple tape and some decorated tape, similiar to Milanese.

IOW, he seems to be a versatile designer who depends on the lacemaker to make the decisions about how to treat a particular pattern. That was the traditional approach to lacemaking in the past, when lace was a source of income - the designer drew and the skilled lacemaker interpreted, producing a "model" for less skilled lacemakers to reproduce. No diagrams, and no "hang 2 prs on pin 1, T2, cloth stich " <g>.

Which is somewhat intimidating for a newbie, but it also leaves more room to maneouver and experiment. Your final "product" may not look precisely like the one in the photo, but it'll be your own. Since I know (from our previous correspondence) that you like to experiment, I think that approach would be right up your alley :)

what books would you recommend me to read that would teach me these techniques?

Any and every book you can lay your hands on; that's standard advice for executing all modern lace, because chances are the designer is "borrowing" from many techniques.

Indian Art Silk (I think that is rayon)

Yup. It's also likely to make your exercise more difficult than if you tried it with cotton. But I've long ago realized that the "thread" which binds all lacemakers starts with a question: "just how hard can it be?" and procedes, from there, to the most difficult solution... :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to