In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> In over 25  years
>the only thread I can remember needing a second spool of was an acrylic
>knitting type yarn of about 4ply thickness (whatever that is in US English)
>and
>was making a Tshirt!

Just occasionally you do need more than one reel - I'm still on the
getting to be long term project of making my petticoat - (a full (knee-)
length underslip) which needs a narrow edging to go round the top of
1.5m, and 2.5m of a wider edging to go round the hem (and up round a
slit to one side). So I looked in the shops, couldn't find anything of
similar design in two widths, and decided to make the lace instead. I
have adapted the first of the patterns from Retournac - the one with the
half stitch "wave" edge and alternate blocks of half and cloth stitch in
the trail - to the two widths I needed (half inch and about 1.5 inch
respectively). The narrow length worked up quickly, but after starting
the second, wider length I soon found I needed more than one reel of DMC
Broder Machine 30 to complete it. Being one of the shades, not standard
white or ecru, I was glad that there had been mention from Sylvia
Hornsby that she could still order this thread from France (I think this
was last year, we discussed it on the list for a while) and I bought two
more reels just in case - I am still hearing from other suppliers that
it has been discontinued! I am still on the second reel, but at least
now I know I have more than enough to finish the lace. As to how long
all this is taking - I was working the narrow strip on the train when I
went down to Honiton for the 400 (?450) years exhibition at All Hallows
Museum, if anyone can remember which year that was, and I got ten inches
worked between the two train journeys. (My memory is getting terrible!).

Two and a half yards x 20 or so pairs doesn't sound as if it will need
more than a reel, but it is when you take into account the two half inch
wide trails, and the amount of thread needed for the two worker pairs,
that the amount of thread required really adds up. A strip of lace that
is mostly ground, without the continuous trails, would take a lot less
thread. How much thread a pattern will take is a question often asked by
new lacemakers - but even those of us with years of experience get it
wrong sometimes! (I was just grateful I could still buy the thread, and
there wasn't a major difference in dye-lot!).

--
Jane Partridge