On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:15:36 -0800, Bev wrote:
>On 11/11/05, Lisa McClure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm looking at my two beautiful lace booklets by Ulrike Lohr (sorry for the
>> missing umlaut), called Schmetterlinge and Maikafer, flieg!  and was
>> wondering if anybody has translated the text of these two books into English
>
>No, no complete translation - I have Schmetterlinge and have been
>helped greatly in the past by one Steph Peters who is on the list.
>Steph gave me the translation of the terms (inside front cover) - this
>helps a lot. I could figure out some of them, 'slag' being 'stitch'
>but 'ganzslag' had me stumped [- and at the moment still does. I went
>to the shelf where I was sure I had my copy, and in it tucked the
>paper with the translation - tsk, AWOL.]

At various times I have translated oddments from this booklet for more than
one person.  As I don't own the booklet myself, I haven't got them handily
saved anywhere.  If Bev (or anyone else) who has some of these, please
repost them.

Lisa, I don't have the time nor Ulrike's permission to translate the whole
thing.  However if you need some part translating, e.g. the page for a
particular piece, then I will volunteer to do that for you.

Some very basic German lace terms:
Halbschlag = half stitch
Leinenschlag = cloth stitch
Ganzschlag = cloth stitch and twist
Kloeppel = bobbin (umlaut over the o)
Paar = pairs
zusatzlich = extra as in pairs to add and throw out for a corner (umlaut
over the a)
Leinen = linen
Baumwolle = cotton
Seide = silk

In May 2000 I saw an exhibition which included some of the pieces for
Maikaifer.  Here's the relevant bits of my posting to arachne at the time:

--
Error:015: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.
Steph Peters  [EMAIL PROTECTED]