Dear Spiders - especially relatively new lacemakers who are interested in old
bobbins...

Some years ago, I heard Holly Van Sciver give a talk on antique bobbins.  She
is very knowledgeable, and would be a wonderful speaker on the subject at one
of your lace days.  In this talk, she addressed the issue of authenticity.  Her
opinion was that the supply of antique bobbins is limited, and many which were
made were simply tossed in the trash heap when their original owners' heirs
cleared house.  So it's reasonable to question the authenticity of an antique
bobbin, especially when there seem to be so many available.  (Of course,
there's the possibility that the same bobbin is bought and sold numerous times.)

As for making bobbins look old, there are plenty of ways.  Someone who wants to
can distress, stain, subject to caustic substances, to name just a few, and the
result will be a very close approximation to a genuine antique.

One of the "hallmarks" of an old bobbin is the wire - or at least it was a
hallmark.  On a genuine antique with the fairing wire intact, the wire has
assumed a "squared off" look.  But this can also be achieved by a meticulous
forger, so isn't necessarily a certain sign.

One of the problems I see with so many of the bobbins listed on eBay is that
they have "prissy" spangles.  That is, the spangles are symmetrical, with
matching beads on each side of a larger center bead, and the wire discretely
tucked out of sight.  Originally spangles were simply a few odd beads and/or
buttons attached to the end with a wire - which showed, more often than not.
My thought is that at the very least, those "prissy" spangles are replacements,
and lower the value of the bobbin - even if it is an antique.

My advice about buying antique bobbins is to accept that the bobbin may be a
reproduction, and if you can live with that, and you like the looks of the
bobbin, then buy it.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA, USA

Diana wrote:

Subject: Re: [lace] BEWARE - Gorgeous Antique Beaded Bone Lace Bobbin *
Circa1830  (6224228813)

I would agree that the bobbin has definitely been rebeaded, I've compared it
with some of the Haskins bobbins in my own collection and I think it is old.

.snip<

I wonder if it has been cleaned/washed which would account for its fresh
shiny appearance.

Diana in a cold Northamptonshire