  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: Arachne lace
  Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:33 PM
  Subject: [lace] more joy from New Orleans

  Gentle Spiders,
  I discovered I have a DISGUSTING little problem.  I pulled down my box
  (cardboard) of Christmas ornaments that was stored on an upper shelf in the
  garage.  No water damage, but roaches, lots and lots of roaches moved in.
  Nasty, disgusting mess that I immediately took outside.  I put on latex
  gloves and went through it sorting things.  I have crochet ornaments that I
  made over the years (the lace connection) that have yellowed, aren't very
  stiff, and frankly any textile in the box that I can wash, I want to.  So,
  my question - I used fabric stiffener (glue type) after I made them.  Can I
  wash them then restiffen them?  I really don't want to wear latex gloves
  when I decorate the tree, but I will this year!  The ornaments have been
  wiped off, and are in plastic storage containers with tight fitting lids -
  to contain any more evil bugs that I didn't find.  How can I or should I
  fumigate and/or clean the ornaments?  My collection is a mix of of all
  mediums (paper, glass, fabric, metal...) that I've been collecting over the
  past 30 years.

  For future storage I'll be investing in a plastic tote that SEALS!

  Beth McCasland
  Metairie, Louisiana, USA
  where rain is coming off the Gulf of Mexico