Diana wrote: my own personal opinion that some of the old bobbin makers, just like some of the modern turners, did spangle some of the bobbins themselves prior to selling.

I have heard the same thing. I have read too that some bobbin makers were bead makers. When I bought my mother & babe with the unusal mounting at the Lace Day in 1983, I was told by the seller that the "expert" had shown some interest in the bobbin, and I should talk to her about it. She shared that the sweetheart bead was mounted in a way she had not seen, and was considering the possibility that the bead as well as the bobbin was made by Joseph Haskins. Since I was still very new to lacemaking at the time, I forgot all the details about who and what by the time I got home, and when I sent an order to her later, I asked her. I received a very sweet note explaining all the above information again, and still have it to this day. That is the only reason I can be certain about what I have said even now...

I do miss those Lace Days and the table with the large pile of wooden bobbins that sold for one pound each!!

Debbie in Florida where she really does anticipate snow at some point this winter, given the crazy weather we've had so far!