> purpose, but did not want to be seen giving money to the girls.  One story
> says he climbed onto the roof and dropped it down the chimney!
>
> So maybe this is the origin of Santa Claus ( derived from St. Nicholas) coming
> down the chimney.

another version is he told the father to put the girls' shoes/socks
(it varies) outside - and the next morning there were gold coins in
the shoes/socks. I like to think that is the source of the tradition
of putting gold-foil-covered chocolate coins in the children's
stockings at Christmas.

In the painting , interesting that the despondent father has two
daughters making bobbin lace - the third one gazing out at us is doing
another sort of handwork, has a cushion on her lap and a cloth - is
she embroidering? doing needlelace?

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)