--- Tess Parrish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would like to suggest an alternative to wool for bobbin lace
> projects: tussah silk!

i've given up on the idea of using lace wool thread unless i am
knitting or crochetting a shawl, other warm garment, or over garment.
it is very fuzzy and can never be used in place of cotton or linen.

> There is a problem, though, especially for us here in the US.  It is
> only available directly from the manufacturer

if you are really die hard for silk like i was for linen, you could
learn to spin your own thread.  it is very easy and i'm sure once you
get the hang of it, it would be very cheap compared to the manufactured
types of threads.  you could spin it as thin as you want and ply it as
many times you want, also you can dye it any color you want.  i think i
would rather dye the finished thread than dye the roving because the
dye doesn't seem to set right on the whole roving.  you will need to
mix and match the skeins every 3 rows because of the differences.  each
skein will never be alike unless you dye the finished thread!

> All of this is just to let you consider an alternative to wool:  I'm
> satisfied customer, not a salesman!  I suggest you contact your
> favorite supplier for further information.

silk would be a much more preferred type of thread being that it is
much stronger, warmer, and has a much better luster than wool.  it has
no fuzzy ends to deal with as apposed to wool which will always have
fuzzy ends regardless of how you mercerize, twist,  or ply it.

> Tess in Maine, USA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

from suzy in tennessee,u.s.a.