Dear Tess and All,

  I have been very happy with the Treenway silk from British Columbia.
http://www.treenwaysilks.com/yarnsus.html
  I have been happy with the natural silk (which is great to dye if you're into
that) and their shipping.
  I see now that they sell dyed product, but the amount I purchased is so large
I won't get the chance to use any.  I had a commissioned piece of yards and
yards of cluny with a raised tally within each motif and the 120/2 bombyx silk
worked wonderfully!  The skeins are a great value, but you need a swift
(umbrella-like item that you place the yarn around) to wind off to bobbins. I
also used a heavier yard for the gimp, but the size escapes me now. It was a
yummy thread to use, though.
  I'm contemplating a dyed order for a vest top using a heavier thread.  I'm
just a little chicken to start.  Guess if I keep losing sleep over it, I'll
just have to start and quit planning on it!

  I'm not affiliated with them, but loved their silk.

  Happy New Year!
  Laura Sandison
  Lace! in New Mexico, USA

Tess Parrish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I would like to suggest an alternative to wool for bobbin lace
projects: tussah silk! I have made two garments so far and am working
on a third. It is about the thickness of a lace wool or a very fine
fingering, and the colors are marvelous!

There is a problem, though, especially for us here in the US. It is
only available, as far as I can find, directly from the manufacturer in
Switzerland (iffy, because they don't always answer their mail) or from
Christine Mirecki in Germany (she answers hers very promptly!).
Christine uses this silk in her beautiful designs and sells her
patterns as well. Expensive, but so beautiful!

You can also use regular silk, of the kind that Halcyon here in Maine
sells as Gemstone 2/12, but I haven't tried it on anything but a
sample, where it works up at the same gauge as the tussah, but with
much higher sheen.

All of this is just to let you consider an alternative to wool: I'm a
satisfied customer, not a salesman! I suggest you contact your
favorite supplier for further information.

Tess in Maine, USA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])