On Jan 9, 2006, at 21:15, Clay Blackwell wrote:

Wel l l l.... the thing with Honiton is that it is not a continuous lace! It does not HAVE a headside or a footside. Or am I missing something here?

Probably only my "severe lack of geometrical imaginaton" <g>

For me, continuous and not makes no difference at all... If there's a "bulge" on one side (with either picots or turn-around-the-pin) and a "straight line" (sewing edge or turn- around-the- pin) on the other side, the first one, automatically, becomes "headside" and the second "footside" in my two-cell, geometrically-impaired mind.... Since that's a situation which can be found in Honiton (petals on the outside, a neat and orderly ribbon on the inside of a flower), to me the direction of work (and, consequently, the side of foot/head) enters the equation the moment I look at the pattern.

The same's true of Russian Tape lace, which -- theoretically -- ought to be very easy to turn around and work whichever way one feels most comfortable with. And it is, _as long as_ there are no pesky arrows which tell you where to start and how to move through the pattern :) The moment there are arrows, I'm lost, if they move in the wrong direction...

Alice wrote:
One way to practice doing headside/footside on both
sides is to make bookmarks with the same edging on
both sides.  Thus, you can practice edges, picots,
turn stitches, pin under 4, or whatever type of stitch
both to the right and the left.

I have very little trouble working, say, a bookmark which has "bulges" (headsides) on both sides or one that's, essentially, an insertion. True, my picots come out a tad better when made on the right than when made on the left, but it's not an overwhelming difficulty to work both sides the same. The difficulty is in working two sides differently _and_ swimming upstream as regards a diagram...

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/