I read only the front-page news and the business section; DH reads the 
whole paper... When he comes accross something "lacy", he leaves the 
relevant page, face up, at my place on the kitchen table to find 
whenever convenient.

In today's (Thursday, January 26), House & Home section (D), in the 
upper right corner of "Currents" by Marianne Rorhrlich, there's a 
snippet, titled "Dinnerware":

"Adding Lace to the Table (But Not With a Cloth)
Lace may seem like an unexpected motif for ceramicplates, but now that 
designers are recycling formerly fusty flourishes into fresh looks, it 
makes perfect sense. And Parisienne chargers, handmade in France with 
textured white-on-charcoal lace patterns, are certainly one way to 
fancy up a classic white plate. The chargers, 13 inches in diameter, 
come in three patterns -- raisins (above), Mantille and Seville -- and 
like most lace must be washed by hand; $98 each at anthropologie.com"

"Formerly Fusty Flourishes"???? As opposed to "Fresh looks"???? The 
lady is, obviously, indulging in a bout of alliterative fancy but, 
still... Even as a card-carrying member of International OLD Lacers I'm 
mortally oFFended :)

I have no idea as to what a "charger" might be (outside a medieval 
battlefield) but assume it's an "underplate"; the "thingie" -- solid 
gold in the case of some royals -- which was put under the fancy china 
to protect the (equally fancy) tablecloth from spills and which 
remained in place throughout the dinner, even as the top plates were 
changed.

The (pictured) "Raisins" seems to be a fragment of a larger piece, 
which looks to be tatted (little circles ad infinitum). I have been 
unable to find the snippet on line via any search I could think of; all 
searches result in the same response: "no results in paid death 
notices" (helloooo? A bit premature? Amusing, all the same <g>)

A search for the website produced:
http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1172&itemType=CATEGORY
#3 from the left, listed as "Seville", is the one pictured in NYTimes 
as "Raisins"; *someone* has their wires crossed :)

The idea of incorporating an imprint of lace (or anything else) in a 
clay/porcelain object is nothing new; even in our little town one can 
buy plates and bowls sporting such imprints. I haven't checked the 
price recently, but it used to be a lot cheaper than nearly a 100 bucks 
per, not surprisingly; the same piece of lace can be reused many 
times... By the same token, the claim of each piece being 
"one-of-a-kind" is a Tiny-Tad _stretched_ (pun intended) ; the 
differences come from different positioning, not different lace.

As far as I'm concerned, the two glasses I got from one of the German 
suppliers (with "tape" lace "painted" on top (can't remember who it was 
I got them from) were a much better deal, at something like $6 per 
glass (including shipping, I think).

And to come back to the idea of using lace imprinted in ceramic 
dinnerware... I just received (serendipity <g>) a message, from a 
lacemaker, on the very same subject, and am cc-ing my "article" to her, 
in case she's missed it on the list... :)

Cherry, please send your -- very interesting -- input to the list.

-- 
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/
Lexington, Virginia, USA     (Formerly of Warsaw, Poland)
  
===============================================

Dear Spiders,

I got a delayed look at this item because my email software put it in
the Out of the Office file.  Anyway, from where I sit, the lace is, how
to put it gently, probably all Schiffli.  It looks to be old and the
last one looks like Schiffli in imitation of Irish Crochet.  The first
one with a zillion little circles is definitely Schiffli, not tatting --
I can't see any stitches in it at all.  The second seems to be equally
old, with the very early 20th century grape motif. 

I was quite deflated to see that it isn't even handmade lace that costs
almost $100 a plate.

They do get fanciful with those names, don't they?  Raisin is Ok for the
grape motif, but where did they get the other names?

Sigh, not only somewhat un-elevated lace, but insults besides.  

Patty

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to