> When I started learning BL the first task was to make a pillow, and we
> used hay - dried grass - and I still prefer hay to straw for a BL
> pillow,  Doesn't need the initial chopping and doesn't corrode the pins
> as much.  Hay is available from pet supply shops.

hmm, 'hay' here, at a pet supply, as far as I know (which is open to
correction) is alfalfa, and has the head of the plant in it. I prefer
what we call clean straw, harvested early and dried - will have less,
if any grains/kernels. The end of the season straw will have the
kernels in it, which I'd prefer not to use on the off-chance that some
might sprout inside the pillow. Overly obsessive, maybe~

> stuff in the filling using a stout stick (half a broom handle) to ram
> it in as hard as possible, bash it with a mallet, turn it over and jump
> up and down on it,

I am picturing it ;)
but yes, that's about the effort you have to make to stuff the pillow firmly!
--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)