I haven't been following this thread with much attention, as I bought the
huge jar of Orvus when a local farm supply store went out of business.  I
have enough Orvus to probably last my lifetime.

I don't know of any way to make oil soaps without using lye.  I think
testing the soap with a litmus-paper strip would be a good idea.

Interesting article on making soap, which explains the chemical reaction
between the oil and the lye:
"Making Soap With James Hershberger, A Chemical Engineer"
http://waltonfeed.com/old/soap/soapchem.html

The biggest argument against using a soap (as opposed to a detergent) to
clean textiles is the reaction between soap and hard water.  I have
extremely hard water, and soap reacts to form floating clumps of soap scum,
which is a huge pain to try and remove from fabric.


Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to