Dear Anne,


While having a teacher can be a help, it is perfectly possible to learn
bobbin lace without a teacher.  I did, using various books.  What works for
one person instruction wise, doesn’t for another – so having more than one
book available when you start can be a help.  Of course, do ask here.



If obtaining equipment is difficult, it is possible to start off making your
own pillow and bobbins.  On this site, Brenda gives  instructions to make
paper bobbins (listed under the Lacemaking heading).  HYPERLINK
"http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html"http://paternoster.orpheuswe
b.co.uk/index.html   and there are links to descriptions of how to make a
pillow at HYPERLINK
"http://lace.lacefairy.com/PillowsBobbins/BobbinPillows.html"http://lace.lac
efairy.com/PillowsBobbins/BobbinPillows.html



Even if you get some bobbins, in my early years as a lacemaker, having
enough bobbins was always a consideration.  I had some whittled from
chopsticks and dowell to make up numbers.  Having an option to make your own
bobbins can be a help.



Thread was always a problem, until I discovered mail order.  I am sure
fellow Aracneans in Canada will let you know the best places to go for
resources to get started, including those which will take money orders.



Best of luck



Karen

in Coventry, where it is snowing heavily, and the world has turned white
while I have been writing this.












--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 268.1.1/272 - Release Date: 01/03/2006

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to