Hi Dona and everyone

First off, not to worry if the question has been asked before - ask away...

> So, for the first few questions...would 1.5 inches be a wide enough lace?

Yes, if you are attaching it to ribbon ('something blue' presumably)
If the lace is narrow, choose wide ribbon.

And
> exactly how is the lace attached to the elastic?

It does depend a bit on the lace, whether you are gathering it or not.
Looking at your pattern 'Marjory' I should think you wouldn't want to
make more than necessary
I'll let others answer about the attaching.

And I'm assuming the length
> should be based on the measurement of her thigh x how much?

again, depends on if you are gathering the lace. The length I'm
working on, a Torchon repeat,  will be lightly gathered, and I'm
making 1 metre. The bride-to-be has been shy about telling me her leg
measurement so I'm going by that recommended by V. Sorensen in 75
Quick and Easy Patterns. For my lace I could even thread the
ribbon/elastic in as I go, in the middle area (I haven't done this
yet). For a picture or two, see my blog, url below.

The pattern we
> are currently looking at is called Marjory, found in 100 Traditional Bobbin
> Lace Patterns by Stott and Cook.

There is a lot of weaving going on in the petal areas, might be time
consuming in the long run? Have a look at Maybuds a few pages earlier,
or Lucky Horseshoes near the beginning - both have less areas of solid
weaving (eliminate the tallies in the Maybuds) and will work up more
quickly. If you go with Lucky Horseshoes you can make quite a bit and
gather it more fully, for a garter.
I made a hanky edging for a bride with the pattern Celebration, and
made another bride a length of 'Wedding Bells' - both times with a
time limit, and it wasn't fun trying to hurry the lace. My favourite
when time is short is to make the Little Hearts pattern. It works up
quickly and is an interesting repeat.

> The idea is to work the lace in silk using white Au Ver A Soie with a blue
> gimp, hopefully in Soie Perlee.  I've not checked yet to see if that is
> available.  Is this a reasonable plan?

It sounds reasonable if you can get the thread. Silk is lovely to work with.

For future reference, don't forget to have a 'throwaway' garter on
hand if the groom is going to toss the garter ;)

--
Bev with her garter-lace closing in on the 40 cm. pin, in Sooke BC (on
Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins  www.woodhavenbobbins.com
blogging lace at www.looonglace.blogspot.com

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to