Oh, yes! BarbE is referring to "stamp hinges."

Please don't use them!

Your stamps may not be highly valuable, but whatever their value, it is
diminished when you affix the stamp to a page with a hinge. These are small
glassine strips with adhesive on one side. You fold them in half, glue side
out, lick one half and stick it on your stamp, then lick the other side and
stick it on the page. By doing so, you have disturbed the gum on the back of
the stamp, and it is no longer "NH" in stamp collector parlance - never
hinged.

Use the mounts to treat your stamps kindly!

Barbara Joyce

Snoqualmie, WA
USA