Dear Lorri,
Tolland is not far from Taunton, the county town of Somerset. Somerset is a
county in the SW of England; the next county one way (to the W) is Devon
(where Honiton lace comes from) and the other way, Wiltshire (where Downtown
lace was made). Somerset itself does not have a particular style of lace
making but I would guess the most likely situation was that the women made
Honiton lace. I'm not sure that the Downtown lace industry had started in
1630 and was more focused in a small area in the SE of Wiltshire.
http://www.portsdown.demon.co.uk/lace.htm
I'm sure others will chip in with more information.
Best wishes
Andrea Lamble
in Cambridge, UK - where Spring is trying hard!!
From: "Lorri Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: "Lorri Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "lace arachne" <[email protected]>
Subject: [lace] English laces and locations
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:02:15 -0800
To a Gentle Spider in the UK
I have recently found that my father's ancestors came to the USA in 1630
from
Tolland, Somerset, England.
What I am wondering is where in England this is located and which style of
lace may have been made in that area.
Lorri Ferguson
Graham, in Washington State, USA
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN Search Toolbar now includes Desktop search!
http://join.msn.com/toolbar/overview
-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]