I'm reading "Eldest", the sequel to "Eragon"by Christopher Paolini.  
It's the story of a boy who finds a special blue rock that turns out to 
be a dragon's egg.  It hatches and starts his adventures--boy and 
dragon are the people's only hope for defeating the evil emperor/black 
magician Galbatorix.  I just came across a great bit about lace!  
Nasuada, the leader of the Varden (the resistance movement), is 
desperate for money to feed her people.  She and her maid are taking 
apart her damaged gown, to salvage for a new gown.


"Intending to cut open a seam, she eextended her arm and snagged the 
tip of her knife on a fringe of bobbin lace, slicing it in half.  She 
stared at the ragged wound in the lace, at the frayed ends of the 
parchment-colored strands that wriggled across the overgown like so 
many contorted worms, stared and felt a hysterical laugh claw at her 
throat even as a tear formed in her eye.  Could her luck be any worse?

"The bobbin lace was the most valuable part of the dress. Even though 
lace required skill to make, its rarity and expense were mainly due to 
its central ingredient:  vast, copious, **mind-numbing, and 
deadening*** [Emphasis mine] amounts of time.  It took so long to 
produce that if you attempted to create a lace veil by yourself, your 
progress would be measured not in weeks, but in months.  Ounce for 
ounce, lace was worth more than gold or silver.

"She ran her fingers over the band of threads, pausing on the rift that 
she had created.  *It's not as if lace takes that much energy, just 
time.* [Author's emphasis]  She hated making it herself...."


She has an inspiration then, about using magic to make cheap lace to 
sell and raise the needed funds.  She sends for her head (female) 
wizard Trianna:


"...Nasuada reached down and lifted the overgown so that Trianna could 
see the mutilated lace.  'So then...you should be able to devise a 
spell that will allow you to manufacture lace with magic.'

"A condescending sneer distorted the sorceress's dark lips.  'Du Vrangr 
Gata [the society of sorcerers helping the rebels] has more important 
duties than repairing your clothes, Lady.  Our art is not so common as 
to be employed for mere whims.  I'm sure that you will find your 
seamstresses and tailors more than capable of fulfilling your request.  
Now, if you will excuse me, I--'

"'Be quiet, woman,' said Nasuada in a flat voice.  Astonishment muted 
Trianna in midsentence.  'I see that I must teach Du Vrangr Gata the 
same lesson that I taught the Council of Elders:  I may be young, but I 
am no child to be patronized.  I ask about lace beauuse if you cna 
manufacture it quickly and easily with magic, then we can support the 
Varden by selling inexpensive bobbin and needle lace throughout the 
Empire.  Galbatorix's own people will provide the funds we need to 
survive.'

"'But that's ridiculous,' protested Trianna.  Even Farica [Nasuada's 
maid] looked skeptical.  'You can't pay for a war with *lace*.'

"Nasuada raised an eyebrow.  'Why not?  Women who otherwise could never 
afford to own lace will leap at the chance to buy ours.  Every farmer's 
wife who longs to appear richer than she is will want it.  Even wealthy 
merchants and nobles will give us their gold because our lace will be 
finer than any thrown or stitched by human hands.  We'll garner a 
fortune to rival the dwarves'.  That is, *if* you are skilled enough in 
magic to do what I want.'"


Sounds like the beginning of the machine-lace era and the destruction 
of the 'real' lace industry, just like in our history!

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to