Many thanks on all the feedback on this.  The concept that the number of
pins denotes the length of the section or repeat makes sense.  My addendum
LOKK book with the patterns for the two caps in it says the hul cap needs
"one ell" of lace, which is "about 3 repeats", so you would really have to
be working out where to start to get precisely the length you want and have
one of the repeats centered in the front.

I would dearly love to buy a copy of the original hardcover book from LOKK
but sadly, it is not only out of print, but seems to be completely
unavailable.  If anyone knows of one for sale, could they let me know direct
please?

Noelene in Cooma, Australia
Mid winter, with a lovely wood fire warming the room, and thoroughly
enjoying my excursion into 's Gravenmoer style lace.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nlafferty/