Years ago my Mum visited Nottingham and mentioned lace. Can't remember if she purchased a lace tablecloth or not now. Many years later in 2001 after I had had my very 1st bobbin lace lesson my husband and I stopped off in Nottingham on our travels north and tried to hunt out the 'lace place' . We went into what was actually now a lace shop, but selling rolls of machine made lace mostly for bridalwear or evening wear. We spoke with 2 lovely ladies in the shop, told them our mission and they redirected us to a little museum place within walking distance. We looked around, saw some books for sale on hand made bobbin lace, all sorts of stuff and video screening of their machine processes towards the back of the place, but there was one lady sitting at her pillow and she was fantastic. I told her I had just started to learn and she showed me some of her threads, and what she was doing, lots of small pieces, of torchon lace, (if memory serves me right). Certainly there are modern lacemakers in the area as in most areas areas of this country. The more I look the more I see. I was very ignorant of fact and research then, slowly learning and enjoying the process now.

During the process of family research I have a copy of an 1851 census taken in a village in Oxfordshire where some of my fathers people came from and there are several lacemakers listed in the area at that time. Seemed like a farming area and with a small mix of all the industries you might expect. Seamstress, Blacksmith, labourer, pauper, and as I say, several lacemakers. I was fascinated.
Sue T, in Dorset UK, where we have had 3 warmer and sunny days at last.


I can remember being told by an interested visitor when I was
demonstrating, that her mother had made Nottingham Lace. She was quite insistent. Since I was making bobbin lace I had to accept that she meant the same process (of
course she might have meant tatting!.....) I concluded that either she
worked in a lace factory, or that, coming from Nottingham and making hand-made
lace, she simply called it that.

Rosemary in Sussex


Dear Lacemakers,

Quoting from my memo to Arachne dated 2/28/03:

In 2001, I took an independent travel trip to Nottingham and went to the Lace
Market Visitors Center (which may now be closed).  There was a lovely
lacemaker with whom I chatted, sitting in the window, making bobbin lace. So, there was a physical tie with what was - in the rest of the center - machine lace.
Could be misunderstood by anyone passing by, and misconstrued to confirm
something a mother or grandmother said in social conversation.

It was possible to buy books in this facility. I purchased two copies of a
spiral-bound book published by Nottinghamshire Bobbin Lace Society to
commemorate their 25th anniversary. This is wonderful documentation of a slice of local lace history. I thought it such a nice idea for a lace society to do, that one copy was dispatched to the New Jersey lace club to which I belong. The book is a fairly thick one, with an introduction by Heather Harris (at the time,
and maybe still - an Arachne)...

At any rate, the Nottinghamshire Bobbin Lace Society probably still exists, since I just confirmed one of their websites was last updated in December 2005.
Go to Google, put in the name of the society, and you'll find several
listings.

In the past, there was also a listing for Elizabeth Cooke's World of Lace at:
www.theworldoflace.com
However, I found I could not access it tonight.  It said "catch you later"
when I tried! This originally had a illustrated story about lace in Nottingham.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.7.4/351 - Release Date: 29/05/2006



-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to