Tamara wrote:

the early instruction booklets that came with machines.

What's "early"? And, does anyone know how well those early
"combination" machines sold? As opposed to the two -- independent
(sewing and embroidery) -- ones?

I think the book referred to was put out by the Singer sewing company. And, yes, it does refer to the use of a simple Singer straight-stitch sewing machine to do embroidery, not a specialized embroidery machine.

Our local library has a copy of the book - I think it's called "Singer Instructions For Art Embroidery and Lace Work" - and it has been reprinted (Dover?). I don't know how early the original book came out, but the one I've seen was from the 1920's.

So, how was the embroidery done? As I recall, you position your needle, put down the presser foot, and put the needle down through the fabric.

Then you either
(1) leave the needle in the fabric, lift the presser foot, turn the work around the other way, adjust the stitch length if you don't want a straight line of satin stitches but want them to widen or narrow, and take the next stitch back, or (2) raise the presser foot, move the fabric to where you want the next stitch to go in, put the presser foot down again, and put the needle down into the fabric and bring it back up.

When you've repeated that several thousand times, maintaining even tension all the way, you've got yourself a nice piece of embroidery.

The picture on the cover showed complicated curving whitework embroidery done in lovely even satin stitch. I can't imagine anyone not employed by Singer ever successfully accomplishing that level of work - or spending the time to do it - but I think a lot of women bought the book thinking it was all going to be very easy. (The "Lace Work" part of the title referred to the fact that after you'd done all your satin stitch you could cut out part of the background fabric to make cutwork 'lace'.)

It reminds me of a fad that flowered for six months or so about 25 years ago - some sewing machine company hired people to tour around textile shows demonstrating how you could do cross stitch with the zig-zag feature on their sewing machine. You bought very small diameter double-pointed knitting needles. You laid them down on the fabric and zig-zagged over them with your machine, one stitch for each stitch on your pattern, then you turned the whole thing around and zig-zagged back again to create the other side of the cross stitch. Then you changed your thread to the next colour and did the whole thing again in the next colour area, and so on.

The whole point was that you could do even cross stitch on non-evenweave fabrics. As far as I can tell, the demonstrators were the only people who were ever able to do the technique without breaking their sewing machine needle on the steel double-pointed needles. I knew people who bought the dpns but nobody who tried it more than once. It was tedious and frustrating.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)