Dear All,

I agree with both types from what I have seen in my
museum, but I wondered if it was just the level of
skill in my country area, where people were mainly
concerned with surviving the elements. The crochetting
and knitted lace though are amazing. (Also in line
with the country of origin of the people who settled
here, mainly anglo saxon.)

I wonder if our desire for uniformity in tension has
stifled the charm of old fashioned lace? Maybe we are
too exact, and produce work with the precision of
machines? And are either of those things good things
for lace in general? Have we lost some diversity along
the way? Is evolution of lace and other handicrafts a
good thing?

I'm not sure I agree about the fine thread being the
problem. I think maybe time constraints were part of
it. Where we would pull out a row and do it again,
they might not have had time to do it. And we can stop
when we feel tired, they were often working very long
hours, and may have had to milk or knead dough or
other heavy hands-on chores before lacing. They simply
may not have had the power and control left in their
hands. It's the control that gives you the tension
with needlelace, not so much the seeing, because if
you were not able to see the bundles of stitches
clearly you would be putting the needle in anywhere
and the piece would be full of mistakes, not just
wobbly. I have thought too that some of my museum
pieces have suffered from shrinkage of the foundation
threads and tapes over the years, and that has taken
some of the tension off, making the fillings go
wobbly.

Wish this fog would go away. Heartily tired of winter.
Rochelle.
--- Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think that's true of BL too.  If you take a piece
> of fine, old lace,
> photograph and enlarge it and compare to similar but
> coarser, well made
> modern lace you nearly always find that the modern
> stuff is neater -
> even allowing for the fact that the old lace may
> have been washed a
> number of times.
>
> Brenda
>
> On 26 Jul 2006, at 19:07, Alice Howell wrote:
>
> > I heard a comment recently that I wanted to put
> before
> > this group.
> >
> > "Modern needlelacers are better needlelacers than
> the
> > ones in the past."
> >
> > The reason was that we are using thread that is
> large
> > enough to see each stitch, so we strive to make
> the
> > stitches very precise, neat and uniform.  The
> workers
> > who made lace with the very tiny thread in the
> past
> > could not see the individual stitches and thus did
> not
> > make them as neatly.  It was the masses of
> stitches in
> > a cluster that was seen.
> >
> > Comments please.  What do you experienced
> needlelacers
> > say to this?
> >
> > Alice in Oregon -- getting ready for a newspaper
> > interview tomorrow.  And then the marathon of
> county fair.
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> containing the line:
> > unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help,
> write to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> Brenda
> http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> containing the line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
  Rochelle Sutherland
  &
  Lachlan (7 yrs), Duncan (6 yrs) and Iain (5 yrs)

  www.houseofhadrian.com.au