I have mine filled with raw <cleaned but not degreased> wool. I love
it!! It takes a lot of wool but it is lightweight and my pins stay
nice and shiny from the lanolin in the wool.

Another nice side effect is that due to the lanolin seeping into the
cover fabric for all these years my pillow is water resistant. I
usually have a glass of water with me at all times and have spilled it
on my pillow from time to time and it just rolls right off.

The down side is that you want to use a darker fabric preferably with
an irregular pattern to it as the lanolin doesn't seep evenly in the
begining and you may have light splotches on lighter colored fabrics.
I use a dark burgandy upholserty velvet with an irregular dash of
dark blue and dark yellow threads and you don't really even see the
marks after the 2nd year.

As for what size, I don't use mine on my lap so that part I can't help
you with. I love my bolster as I do a lot of yardage and that is also
what I was first taught on.

Miranda