I have one of these tools, mine is a piece of Yew as has been turned in the shape of a lace bobbin but in large scale and then the bobbins has bee split lengthways down it's middle and has a piece of sticky back baize stuck to it's back to make it non slip. It has a hole drilled in the middle of it's length and is used just a Noelene says.

For instance when beginning a bookmark which begins with a point at the top, hang the required number of pairs "open" on the top most pin and decide which side you are going to begin working on, then pin the piece of wood to the pillow so that it goes over the threads that are being left waiting on the other side of that top pin, pin it in place making sure that the tops of those bobbins come up to touch the piece of wood and they won't be able to move any further. When you work on the threads of your chosen side you will find that the threads do not slip and slide up and down because the other ends of the threads are held tight to the pillow by the piece of wood I always use mine on such occasions.

I bought mine from Brian Goodwin who is in the UK, when I was at the Christmas Lace makers fair at the NEC Birmingham England years ago. Brians site is at http://www.briangoodwin.co.uk/page2.html He calls these piece of wood a "Stay Put" in his catalogue.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.