Dear Lacemakers,

While the Arachne lace list is very quiet, I will share this feedback for
those who knew the lace collector, Fulvia Lewis:

News from Kerry Taylor Auctions, UK:
"Our June Passion for Fashion and Fine Textiles sale was a great success
with a new world record price set for a British patchwork of £29,640.  The
Leslie Caron collection of Haute Couture sold for more than £56,000
against a low estimate of £12,000 and the fine group of lace from the
collection of the late Fulvia Lewis also performed well, making over
£25,000 with buyers travelling from across Europe to obtain pieces. The
Ann West record-setting patchwork coverlet was consigned by a gentleman
who used the funds to take himself, his friends and family to watch the
World Cup Football series."

Americans, double the British pound amount to get approximate amount in
dollars.

I left the last sentence in, as it illustrates why it is desirable to decide
what to do with your fine collections.  It might have been much nicer for the
previous owner of the quilt to have the pleasure of knowing where it went for
a permanent loving home.

Just last week, I found myself telling my insurance agent about the Society
for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, in Boston.  (You can Google,
if interested.)  The agent has a client, who owns a New England quilt made by
an ancestor of a very famous 19th C. person (everyone in the U.S. reading this
note has held his product in their hands).  The quilt has been lovingly passed
down to the oldest daughter in the family for generations.  Now, they are
seeking an appropriate home where people can see it in a proper setting and it
will be properly cared for.  Ideally, members of their own family can visit it
without worry it will go out into the international void without its
interesting history, providing it can be gifted with a protective legal
donor's document
that it is not to be de-accessioned.

Book:  "Cherished Possessions - A New England Legacy", by Nancy Carlisle,
pub. by Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities in assoc. with
Antique Collectors' Club Ltd. 2003, $50, Hardback, 448 pages, ISBN
0-9706394-8-1.  This large and interesting book was published to serve as a
"catalog" in
connection with a traveling exhibit that went to 5 museums - Maine, Texas,
Hawaii, New York City, Michigan - from 2003-5.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center