As the list seems to be quiet I thought I would report on my lace making 
activities.
 
Last weekend some members of Land of Lincoln Lacemakers were demonstrating at 
Pioneer Days in Belvidere Illinois.  I went on Sunday and as I was the last to 
arrive I sat near the front of our friends tent where it was rather windy.  The 
others were inside the canopy.  Pioneer Days is set in the 1800's, not sure of 
the exact date as the costumes varied depending on whether they were "pioneers" 
or "civil war".  My get up is rather later as it consists of a plain skirt with 
a little train and a white blouse.  To hide this I made a long white apron and 
wore a knitted shawl.  For those that know my current modern hairstyle (i.e. 
red and sticking out all over) I wore a kerchief tied over my do.  We had a 
great spot as we were the second tent in the encampment from the entrance and 
had a roaring wood fire, so were were a very popular as it was rather cold in 
the morning.  In the afternoon a tv camerawoman came by and took some shots.  
Again I did not see it as I am out of that
 viewing area, but my friend said my pillow and I were shown on the evening 
news.  We had a great time with lots of intelligent questions.  One of my 
bobbins was running low on thread but I was so busy explaining what I was doing 
that it was late in the afternoon before I could put some more thread on it.  I 
was doing a french yardage piece about 3" wide and had lots of bobbins.  My 
pillow still smells of woodsmoke and had dots of ash on it.  Good job this is 
my demo pillow and not something special I was making. 
 
Next weekend I demonstrate at a Martin Luther Renaissance fair at a local 
church.  I do not dress in period for this one as I am not sure what type of 
lace might have been made at that time.  I will be using the idea of having a 
pillow set up with two have a go prickings, both short fishes, so that more 
kids can try it out.  I always have some regular children who come each year 
and remember how to do it.
 
Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/ 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to