Hi Irene:

They look like they are having a great time despite being in a "torture"
class.  Does anyone remember this conference and class?  I'm curious!

I was at that conference, too. I can't quite recall what I was taking, though I remember being glad it wasn't Torchon Torture! (Though the people who took it said later it was a very good class in that they learned a lot - just not the fun time and shorter hours we're accustomed to.) They did warn everybody in the brochure what it was going to be like, though, so the people who took it knew what they were getting in for.

TT wasn't a normal class; it had longer hours and went 5 full, long days. They started early, went late, and didn't stop for breaks. Then there was the homework! The rest of us were gadding about, eating and talking and taking breaks, and the poor TT people would be in their rooms, hunched over their pillows. The pattern they were doing was similar in concept to the "Sampler" at the start of Cook's "Building Torchon Lace Patterns", (an insertion strip that runs back and forth to build up the centre of a rectangle, with an edging around the whole) and as Malvary says, they had to get to a certain point for each day.

They got an introduction to design, as well as the pattern - I think part of the design was their own. I also recall the class instructions included a request to bring "pure black copy paper" which, in those days before the gel pen craze, did not exist - certainly not here in Vancouver, anyway. People were looking all over for something suitable, and wound up buying expensive black paper from art supply stores - and even they had only heavy charcoal paper, not the thinner weight that was wanted.

I don't recall having the bedroom problems Malvary reports - maybe that's only because I've managed to erase it from my mind! I wonder if that was the PNWC that was held in what used to be a seminary, and the rooms all had windows in the doors so the monks could look in and make sure their pupils weren't doing bad things.

Adele
This past PNWC was either my 6th or my 7th! Lots of good memories over the years.