The Japanese cords I have used in paper work did not unroll (open flat) like
the ones used in the lace pieces.  It is the opening/spreading of the corded
paper that creates the 'flower' effects of these pieces.
The USA does have paper cords (in the craft shops) that is much heavier and
would work if one were making oversized pieces.  One would also have to use
oversized threads too for balance -but it does make my mind whirl with ideas.
So many ideas so little time.

Lorri

  I don't know if they are long enough, but what about Japanese paper cord
  (mizuhiki paper cord or paper string)?

  Kim's Crane in Virginia sells many colors of mizuhiki cord:
  http://kimscrane.com/catalog<http://kimscrane.com/catalog>
  (Put mizuhiki in the search box.)  Most of the mizuhiki descriptions just
  show the color card, but the purple cord says "10 cords 36 inches long".

  These might even be found in a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
  Yasutomo, the origami paper company, has a line of mizuhiki:
  http://www.yasutomo.com/Mizuhikicolors.htm<http://www.yasutomo.com/Mizuhiki
colors.htm>

  Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA