After all the chat about this subject I finally got up off my backside and
retrieved the one that I made.  As I thought, I didn't knot the ends at all,
except where I joined the workers.  As I picked up the threads I ran them along
behind the string for a very short distance (maybe two there and backs with the
workers) and then cut them off.  My reckoning was that if it was going to be
stiffened with glue, then nothing was going to move very far.

At the moment it is still waiting for its frame, and I thought it would be
safer not to fiddle with the paper string until it was framed, so it has been
kicking around for at least two years now and there is not the slightest sign
of
any of the ends working loose.

I stiffened on the pillow, with the proper Moravia 'starch', diluted 50% as
recommended, but ALL the surplus blotted off as soon as I was sure the threads
were well soaked.  By doing this, there was no evidence of any having gone
through the blue film covered pricking to the pillow, and no clear patches of
dry
glue in the spaces.  I also agree with Brenda that the Moravia starch is a
VERY expensive way of buying PVA glue.

Jacquie